Monday, November 1, 2010

Wailing Wall Quilt




The "bonus art" on display with The Wave is called the Wailing Wall Quilt. Because so many people sending me their DVDs were including notes, I asked myself "how can I make a piece of art that let's people speak?"
Inspired by the Wailing Wall in Jerusalem, where people tuck their prayers on pieces of paper amid the chinks of the wall, I came up with the idea of quilting together a "wall" of the DVD sleeves.


The open pockets of the sleeves created the perfect pocket for tucking thoughts and prayers.



Remembering my grandmother's quilting bees, I
invited 22 women and girls to join me one Sunday afternoon to join me in sewing the sleeves together, using their creativity to each create their own square.

I invite you to come by and add your own thoughts and prayers.






No comments: